The proposed 60-MW Hook Canyon project in Utah received a huge blow when the Governor of Utah decided that the voice of the general public and the value of the Bear lake for tourism and local ec...
Hook Canyon: P-12707
- Bear Lake
- 60.00 MW
- Hook Canyon Energy
The proposed project would be located in Rich County, Utah and Bear Lake County, Idaho. The project's upper reservoir would be constructed in Hook Canyon on the eastern side of Bear Lake. Bear Lake would be the project's lower reservoir. The proposed project would not occupy any federal lands.
The proponent of this project surrendered its preliminary permit in 2008 and abandoned plans for the project.
- The proposed project would be a net consumer of power (pumping water requires more energy than the what is generated)
- Adverse impacts on recreational opportunities on the Bear Lake
- Adverse impacts on fish and other wildlife species
- Potential seismic safety and security risks
- Uncertain funding mechanism