London/Marmet : P-1175
- Kanawha R
- 28.80 MW
- Download License
- APPALACHIAN POWER CO
The London/Marmet project, located at US Army Corps of Engineers' dams and locks consists of two developments:
- London Development- Located at river mile 82.8 near Handley, WV in Fayette & Kahawha counties. Three generating units with authorized capacity of 14.4 MW
- Marmet Development- Located at river mile 67.7 in Marmet, WV in Kanawha county. Three generating units with authorized capacity of 14.4 MW
The Windfield Project (P-1290) is located downstream of this project.
SUMMARY OF LICENSE REQUIREMENTS (2013 License)
- To ensure the uninterrupted navigational operation of the Corps dam and associated facilities, the license requires project operation consistent with a new Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between Appalachian and the Corps. The license requires the project to be operated in run-of-river mode and requires an operation and compliance monitoring plan to ensure that Appalachian meets these requirements.
- To enhance the recreational user’s experience, the license requires Appalachian to develop and implement a recreation plan to include the addition of trash and restroom facilities at the tailrace fishing areas and to document maintenance and operation of the existing parking areas, paths, stairs, and tailrace fishing piers.
- To minimize impacts on botanical resources and wildlife habitat, including potential habitat for species listed as threatened or endangered under the Endangered Species Act, this license requires Appalachian to develop and implement a vegetation maintenance plan to define the type, frequency, and extent of maintenance activities within the project boundary and to schedule maintenance activities to minimize impacts on terrestrial resources including potential habitat for federally listed plants and wildlife.
- To protect birds from mortality due to electrocution and collision at project transmission lines, this license requires Appalachian to develop and implement an avian protection plan.
- To protect cultural resources, the license requires Appalachian to prepare and implement an HPMP for the project.
|Proposed Study Plan Filed||01-26-2009|
|Study Plan Determination Issued||06-25-2009|
|Environmental Assessment Released||12-04-2012|