Yesterday, FERC issued a new 30-year license to American Electric Power (AEP), a subsidiary of Appalachian Power Company, for continued operation of the 636 MW Smith Mountain Project.However the new l...
Smith Mountain : P-2210
- Roanoke R
- 636.00 MW
- Download License
- APPALACHIAN POWER CO
This 636 MW project consists of two-dams, two-reservoirs combination pumped storage and conventional hydroelectric projects. The project is located on the headwaters
of the Roanoke River in Bedford, Campbell, Franklin, and Pittsylvania counties in Virginia.
The 586 MW Smith Mountain development is a pumped storage project while the 50 MW Leesville development is a conventional hydropower project.
|License Application filed||03-26-2008|
- Water management (e.g., lake levels and instream flows)
- Erosion and sedimentation within Smith Mountain and Leesville lakes
- Effect on the Roanoke logperch
- Loss of littoral zone habitat in both lakes
- Controlling invasive aquatic vegetation
- Recreational access needs, and
- Managing navigation aids and floating debris within the two lakes.